Saturday, May 21, 2011

it's all about poetry&scripture.

you already may think that i'm a slightly UNordinary person, yet to add to this list of my oddities is this:
i love poetry.
yes. i know. the dreaded 3 syllable word that when your english teacher announces in class you just DREAD.
not i, said the cow!
alright, i'm not a cow, but you get what i mean. I would like to share with you my favorite poem; i'm sure you've heard it before.

INVICTUS
William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

just a little food for thought.

This, I feel, pairs well with my favorite scripture passage, at the moment.
D&C 88:42-45
"And again, verily I say unto you, he hath given a law unto all things, by which they move in their times and their seasons;
And their courses are fixed, even the courses of the heavens and the earth, which comprehend the earth and all the planets.
And they give light to each other in their times and in their seasons, in their minutes, in their hours, in their days, in their weeks, in their months, in their years--all these are one year with God, but not with man.
The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory, in the midst of the power of God."
I don't feel like I need to explain that to you; it can apply differently to everyone. To me, it is what keeps me going through the rough patches of life, especially the ones i experience now. Rely on the Lord to help you in everything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment